IGForums

Author Topic: RDMT - Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon  (Read 279 times)

Offline Dolphinpainus

• Streamer
  • Overall Likeability +6/-1
RDMT - Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
« on: November 10, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »
If you want to start streaming some more 3DS games, this is a pretty good pick. I've recently picked it up and am enjoying it. The soundtrack is pretty neat, the game mechanics are good, and the story made me a bit feelsy. The game is a rogue like dungeon explorer, where everything resets except your level every time you complete a dungeon and every dungeon room is completely randomized. It's a pretty straight forward game, though can be challenging at times, since status effects can require you to do more than just spam attacks, or some dungeons would require you to go through many floors, causing you endure with the supplies you've picked up or taken with you. Also, you get to play as a pokemon and have actual friends. What's not to like?

Edit:

Now that I've nearly 100% this game, I feel I should reiterate the description of this request as best I can.

To start off, this game has a pretty long tutorial section. It's not that story slow, but this section is about 6 or so hours. Don't be discouraged on that, since it's not all tutorial guides or anything that holds your hand much, but more like you learn something new for a moment and go out and play the game in sort of a test of that knowledge. It's not that bad, and it's better than most tutorials that are story halting. Think of it as sort of a character and story development section of the game, which is mostly what it is.

A second thing I should tell you about this game is that it's like almost any other nintendo handheld game. It's only text with no voice overs, which shouldn't be abnormal since it's a pokemon game. It's different than the main line series since it's more story and character driven, so there are quite a few cutscenes and talk sequences. I'd suggest that song requests aren't on during these streams, since the music that plays within dungeons and cutscenes, as well as the sound effects, help make the moments in the game.

The story for this game starts off slow. It isn't until somewhat 60% way through the main game (which isn't that long to get to once you get past the tutorial section) where the story starts to pick up speed quickly. The end game is extensive, but repetitive. The most worth while things in the end game are the endurance dungeons, the treasure dungeons, and legendary pokemon encounters. If you plan on doing the end game (which is after the short post game story), you're going to spend a lot of time on it because of how many things you can do. I'm about 85-90% finished with the game and I almost have 100 hours into it.

The game mechanics will take a while to get used to, from controls and how everything works, at least it did for me. You play as a pokemon in this game and you go up against other pokemon in dungeons, so you should know your typings on what is effective and what's not to other pokemon. You'll also have to watch out for a lot of status effects. You might think that just because it's a pokemon game, you can coast right through this. I can tell you right now that thinking like that will get you molested. It's best to over prepare in case the worst event possible happens. The game is wholly RNG based. You may be blessed and break the game in some dungeons from the items you get, or you might be bent over and only be given useless items and be forced to go it slowly.

In all, once you get used to the game mechanics and drawn into the story, it's a really good game and really worth playing. It'll be a unforgettable experience (for some).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:59:13 PM by Dolphinpainus »

Offline RDMT

• Streamer
  • Overall Likeability +58/-8
    • Skype - nobodybetterhavethis
Re: RDMT - Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
Purchased!

Offline RDMT

• Streamer
  • Overall Likeability +58/-8
    • Skype - nobodybetterhavethis