IG Chat Rules
These are guidelines and rules that have been implemented on IG in response to most of the issues we've seen. At the end of the day all we want is for people to be respectful to each other. We like to keep our giant home (or rather fraternity house) fun and friendly to people who have been here for a while and to newer people as well.
Remember these rules are only some of the things that we enforce. This is NOT a complete list, but rather a set of general guidelines for people to follow in order to accomplish our goal of respect. We don't want to ban people; having people correct their behavior and thus making chat better is always our first goal.
Be sure to keep an eye out for messages from moderators or administrators, if you get one of these it's to be treated the same as if you are talked to inside of chat. Moderators are trusted with knowing and properly enforcing the rules; as such their instructions regarding chat behavior should be followed first and foremost regardless of what these rules say.
If you feel at any point a moderator has abused his or her position or if you feel you have been banned in error/deserve a second chance, feel free to contact one of the administrators. Moderators do not have the authority to unban, nor to discuss bans.
A site administrator may remove you from chat without any warnings and keep you removed if you are being too disruptive to chat. If you want to contest it feel free to contact one of the other administrators.
A list of moderators and administrators is provided at the bottom of this post.
- Linking to anything illegal to view. If you can wind up on the news over it, don't post it in chat.
- Advertising/solicitation, either publicly in chat or privately in PMs.
- Doxing or posting personal information requests without the individual's consent. This includes links to personal profiles on sites like Facebook or posting privately-shared pictures.
- Drama. If it's an inflammatory topic or something that should be discussed in PM, keep it out of public chat. Private conversations should stay private.
- Talking on behalf of banned members in chat. (i.e. copy pasting their messages for them, "so and so said...") They're banned for a reason. If you have an issue with someone being banned, talking to administrators work a lot better.
- Complaining or snarky remarks in public chat with regards to warnings given by moderators/administrators. This includes warnings given to other people. Leads to drama, don't do it. If you can't respect site staff, we're not making you stay here. Discussions with chat mods or admins in private are encouraged if there is a genuine issue.
- If a link contains pornographic or gory imagery, please accompany the link with "NSFW".
- No hate speech will be allowed. Questionable content will be evaluated primarily on intent. Account names which include hate speech will not be allowed.
- Keep arguing out of public chat; use private messaging.
- Pastebin links should be used if a message is very long (a story, part of a walkthrough, etc.).
- Spamming (Which includes one word/letter posts, repeatedly posting the same thing over and over) is frowned upon and will be deleted.
- Using pictures from other chatgoers can get messy very quickly. Be sure you have permission to use those images before you use them.
- Impersonating others always ends poorly, don't do it. This includes having very similar names or using someone elseís name in another chat.
- Attention whoring is annoying and derailing to the chat. We don't care how much sex you have, how big your boobs are, how much you can lift, how much you can drink or that you have over 300 confirmed kills. Chat isn't the place to discuss it; if you want to show people what you look like take it to the forums (We have a post your picture thread!) or private message.
- Keep topics of sexual nature to a minimum. We're not a porn site we're a VIDEO game streaming site. Blue jokes are one thing, persistent or graphic discussion is another.
- Backseat moderation in strictly frowned upon, if a moderator is doing their job let them do it, otherwise this becomes people ganging up on a person for no reason and creates more issues than it solves. If a moderator is not present it is appreciated when members of the community POLITELY direct them to the rules or inform them on what they are. Avoid turning it into ganging up on an individual though and please don't be disrespectful; newer people genuinely may not know the rules.
- Please refrain from posting story spoilers during a blind run of a game. A lot of the fun of watching a stream is to see how the streamer reacts to the game itself. Spoilers take that away and can ruin the game for the streamer, and the stream for the chat. Itís the responsibility of the streamer to make sure it is clear that a blind run is being played. Look for [BLIND RUN], No Spoilers or something similar in the ticker on the main site or the title on Twitch. The response from moderators will depend on the severity of the spoiler.
- Be respectful and mindful of other chat members' opinions, especially in topics that may be sensitive or discomforting to other people. With the exception of topics of sexual natures, we don't really want to set a limitation on what topics people choose to discuss. However, once it becomes obvious that people are getting heated and discomfort can be inferred, try to remove yourself from that conversation topic. If there's a serious need to continue "discussing" by the involved parties, use an alternate, private messaging system. However once it gets to a hostile point, or what may be perceived as hostility, it becomes an alarming issue in chat and leads to drama. Err on the side of caution when topics could turn inflammatory. (tldr: We don't want to limit chat topics(outside of sexual nature topics), nor do we want to offend people simply because people are being disrespectful. If everyone is respectful and civil then there shouldn't be an issue. This is not in reference to any specific topic or set of topics.)
- In general, treat everyone WITH RESPECT.
List of Moderators: